Happy employees don’t sue but maintaining a harmonious work environment can be difficult. Lawsuits can be prevented if you have a prevention program and a workplace complaints management partner.
What are the main reasons why an employee files a complaint?
- Discrimination: This occurs when an employee is treated differently due their national origin, skin color, religion, disability, etc.
- Sexual harassment: This one represents almost 30% of workplace complaints. In California, businesses with 5+ employees are legally required to train ALL of their supervisors/staff about Sexual Harassment Prevention.
- Whistleblower retaliation: Anyone who notices or suspects their employer of violating the law can report it to the proper authorities without fear of retaliation. It is illegal for an employer to treat an employee differently for becoming a whistleblower.
- Nepotism: A federal place of employment must allow everyone an equal opportunity to gain employment there. Nepotism is the act of choosing a friend, relative, or close family member over another candidate for employment, promotion, or bonuses solely due to relations.
- Wage Law Violations: Many lawsuits filed against employers are based on allegations that the employer violated a federal, state, or local wage law. These laws are collectively called wage and hour laws.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” – Benjamin Franklin
California employment laws require an employer to conduct a “prompt and thorough” investigation of any alleged conduct. Failing to conduct an investigation after a claim, leaves the employer exposed in subsequent legal action.
Different types of complaints require different initial responses. Still, all employee complaints need to be taken seriously – regardless of whether it’s accusations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, ethical impropriety, or other claims.
Every employer should have a licensed investigative resource on tap because when the need arises, you will not have a sufficient opportunity to conduct the research and selection process.
At California Labor Solutions (CLS), we take HR consulting to the next level by offering affordable premium California licensed workplace investigations. We stand by your side, providing expert guidance at every step along the way – from the initial complaint through the investigation and corrective action process.